Monday, May 08, 2006

colors

I think there was simply a misunderstanding as to what we were talking about. I agree perfectly with the statement that people can perceive colors differently. I was saying that if we could find a non-human objective measure, that what I consider a green plant is absorbing all the particular colors of the spectrum from the light except one particular subset which it reflects and I consider green. But that reflected subset, while we humans may all perceive it differently, is still technically quantifiable. On top of that, that subset of reflected light is technically the same packet of photons, regardless of whose retina it ends up hitting. Now, once the packet of light hits the retina, it will be interpreted however that human does it. But if we could step outside the human box, we could in fact give certain packets of light discreet names, regardless if they match up to what color we consider them to be at the moment.

Arguments don’t end with Yaniv being called names. They end with me being right.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm...yes, I think green is green in terms of light absorption and all that. But I don't think all retinas see color it the same way. I mean, some people are totally colorblind. So clearly some people more than perceive color differently...they see it differently. Maybe we're all seeing slightly different shades of color.

And as for perceiving colors differently...don't even get me started. Just the other day I had a client go on and on about how they didn't want a purple brochure. They wanted blue, they said. So they sent me a sample of the color they wanted. And what color was it? Fucking purple. I see purple. The designer sees purple. But they see blue?! So…do they have a different perception of what purple is, or do they really see blue when they look at purple? Round and round we go…

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Eric said...

aha i was right

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Eric said...

as long as everyone is happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home